• M.Sc. in Rock Mechanics Engineering, 2008-2011, Department of Mining Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology (IUT), Isfahan, Iran.
• B.Sc. in Exploitation, 2004-2008, School of Mining, Petroleum and Geophysics Engineering, Shahrood University of Technology, Shahrood, Semnan, Iran.
Alireza joined Reservoir Geomechanics Research Group (RGRG) in September 2014 as a PhD student. He completed his MSc degree in 2011 in Rock Mechanics and already established a research record of three international publications, two in the International Journal of Rock Mechanics and one in Particulate Science and Technology. An internship at TU Clausthal in Germany provided him with experiences in rock mechanics tests such as: uniaxial compression, triaxial, direct shear and Brazilian tests. Currently, He is working on his PhD research regarding back analysis of the notable Joslyn Creek Steam release incident using coupled Reservoir-Geomechanical simulation. He is interested in Geological models, geomechanical modeling using FLAC and 3DEC, reservoir simulation for insitu recovery (SAGD) using CMG, Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical Behavior of Conductive Fractures in naturally fractured media, Homogenization, up-scaling and uncertainty analysis of properties in rock masses and Micro scale study of constituents of crystalline intact rocks using Voronoi Element-Discrete Element Method (VE-DEM).
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS, CONFERENCE PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS:
• Khani, Alireza; Deisman, Nathan; Chalaturnyk, Rick; "Back Analysis of Joslyn Failure Using DEM Geomechanical Model." AAPG Annual Convention & Exhibition, 2016, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
• Khani, A., A. Baghbanan, and H. Hashemolhosseini. "Numerical investigation of the effect of fracture intensity on deformability and REV of fractured rock masses." International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 63 (2013): 104-112. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2013.08.006) ( an overview of the performance of the article in International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences)
• Khani, A., A. Baghbanan, S. Norouzi, and H. Hashemolhosseini. "Effects of fracture geometry and stress on the strength of a fractured rock mass." International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 60 (2013): 345-352. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2013.01.011)
• Siavash Norouzi, Alireza Baghbanan & Alireza Khani. "Investigation of Grain Size Effects on Micro/Macro-Mechanical Properties of Intact Rock Using Voronoi Element – Discrete Element Method Approach." Particulate Science and Technology: An International Journal, 31:5(2013): 507-514. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02726351.2013.782929)
• A. Khani, A.Baghbanan, H. Hashemalhosseini; "The effect of fracture network intensity on elastic strength of fractured rock masses - A numerical study." EUROCK2012, Stockholm, Sweden.
• Khani A., Baghbanan A.R, Hashemalhosseini H; "A Numerical Modelling for Effect of Fracture Intensity on Compliance Tensor of Jointed Rocks." 4th Iranian Rock Mechanics Conference (IRMC4). 2011, Tehran, Iran.
• A. Khani, M. Rasouli, A.Baghbanan; "3D analysis of tunnel geometry effect on admissible advancement step in horseshoe tunnels." First Asian and 9th Iranian Tunneling Symposium, 2011, Tehran, Iran.
• Khani, A., Mikaeil, R., Ataei, M., and Faramarzi, L.; "Determination of admissible advancement step in Koohin railway tunnel by convergence-confinement method." 8th Iranian Tunneling Conference, 2009, Tehran, Iran.